Monday, May 02, 2005

I managed to sit through a double header and only yelled at one parent.

The batter went for a low pitch and ended up sort of lobbing the ball to the pitcher. The ball hit the dirt a fraction of an inch in front of his glove and then went into his glove. I was standing with four or five umpires and coaches and we all saw it, as did the plate umpire. Batter was safe at first.

Some guy in the bleachers- a big loutish looking jerk-started screaming at the umpire, gecticulating and carrying on like an idiot. I blew and pointed at the guy and yelled "You cannot make the calls from there". I guess I must have really launched into the delivery, because he immediately sat down and didn't say another word. I should do that more often...

I happened to have a stack of umpire shirts to distribute and later I offered him one. He declined...

No comments: