Tuesday, June 28, 2005

John Walton died yesterday when his homebuilt ultralight crashed.

I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart. Not even close. In fact I loathe the stores, but I find myself in one from time to time. I force myself in by remembering that John was Sam Walton's son.

I don't think that John had anything to do with running the chain. In fact, there may have been a falling out-I don't remember. But he was an heir nonetheless.

John's claim to fame, other than being a Walton, is that he served as a Special Forces medic in Vietnam. According to the guys who were there, John was one hell of a guy and quite the hero. I don't know the details, but he apparently saved several team mates while under fire. Word is that he was a pretty modest guy and never made very much of the whole thing, but there are some guys walking around today who wouldn't be here if not for his heroism.

No comments: