Monday, May 28, 2007

I've had an "interesting" day, yet at nearly 2AM, I just can't find sleep.

I was up by 5:30 or so. Hung out around here for a while and then the wife called from church that help was needed at the fund-raising carnival at the school. Went up there and spent a few hours putting up tents and so forth. I was sincerely convinced once we put the tents up that someone was coming behind us to stake them out. Honest.

Well, we went to the evil sister-in-law's place for a while, and it was ok. The wives went off to visit my mother-in-law who has had a greatly exaggerated cold, and the brother-in-law and I consumed cold beverages.

During this respite we had a storm you wouldn't believe. We heard it coming, and the brother-in-law, who is a sheriff's deputy fer chrissake (and ought to know) said he heard fireworks. I knew full well it wasn't fireworks. It was a serious storm rolling in at 90 miles an hour. We got wind, we got rain, we even got hail. It was a corker.

I was doing other things, but apparently their garage door didn't close completely when Snakeeater, Jr. and his uncle put stuff away. Well, the evil sister-in-law came home and found, gasp, water in the garage. You'd have thought it was the end of the freaking world. So we pushed water out of the garage lest it get her *&%$ tires wet then bundled up to get the hell home before she melted down even further. It was ugly.

So then we cruised by the carnival on the way home to check things out, and the tents hadn't been staked down. None of them. It was utter devastation. I got brave and called the evil sister-in-law who is part of the carnival committee and they showed up. It was kind of neat in that a number of people showed up in the wake of the storm, knowing bad things must have happened, but we had to put up with the sister-in-law. We basically parted out the tents, saving frames that weren't broken and canopies that weren't slashed beyond repair. There will be a trip to the local discount place first thing Monday for more tents.

Meanwhile the evil sister-in-law behaved like a complete a$$hole. Her husband is a strange sort of fussy, prissy guy, but nonetheless, I don't envy him coming home to her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's the moon. I had the same problem last weekend. Ok so I have no clue if it's really the moon but each time I have insomnia the moon is just about a full moon.