Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Well, I'm set up to skew television ratings. Got a postcard a while ago saying that we had been selected as a "Nielson Family". I never replied, but they kept up and yesterday we received a log along with five crisp one dollar bills. They only ask that we keep the log for a week, so I figure "why not?".

BUT--while no one family can actually skew ratings, I'm going to do my best. I'm not unaware of popular programs (though I never heard of "Ghost Whispers" until local moms starting begging off of planned activities so they could watch the show rather than watch their daughters growing up), but I just don't watch them. I've never seen "ER", I've never seen the crime scene show or any of its spinoffs, I've seen "JAG" once and thought it was the most unrealistic piece of garbage I've ever seen (hot babe aside), I've never seen "Beverly Hills 9whatever", I've never seen "Friends", and I only ever watched "Seinfeld" twice. The second time was the farewell show, which referenced previous shows. Needless to say I was utterly baffled.

I guess I'm a legitimate demographic--the networks need to know that at least some of us don't watch their garbage--but it feels weird. On the other hand, the Discovery Channel and the History Channel might get a boost from our log.

No comments: